Support Medicaid Expansion
The NC House and Senate have introduced history-making bills that would close the Medicaid Gap and ensure that North Carolinians get to go to the doctor without going broke. Representatives from the Governor’s office have said the biggest priority of this legislative session is passing Medicaid Expansion. It’s time to add your voice to theirs in saying you believe in the right of every North Carolinian to access healthcare, no matter how much they make or where they live.
Medicaid and Rural Hospitals
- In the past year, Medicaid provided health coverage for 1.9 million poor seniors, children, parents, and people with disabilities in North Carolina. More than half of those people live in rural areas.
- Six rural hospitals in our state have closed since 2010, and several others are at high risk of financial distress. Medicaid expansion will disproportionately benefit rural communities by improving health care access and building stronger local economies.
- Closing the Medicaid coverage gap will help rural communities stabilize their local hospitals and health care providers, support their local workforce, and stabilize household budgets where health care costs can result in high debt.
- Treating large numbers of uninsured patients puts a financial strain on health care providers, which results in higher costs for everyone. Medicaid expansion will benefit health care providers because they will treat many more patients with health coverage, resulting in more reimbursements, healthier patients, and lower costs for everyone.
- More than 13,000 jobs could be added to North Carolina’s 80 rural counties if the General Assembly expands Medicaid. That means more tax revenue for rural communities and stronger rural economies.